Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Part Three The Final Search or Up North and Then Some

A month or 2 later I arranged visits to homes for sale in the Green Bay, Door County area.  We saw some really beautiful homes.  One especially looked good.  It was built recently  and it sat right on Lake Michigan .  Gorgeous views from every window.  The problem was that it sat on a cliff. There was a 75 foot straight drop to the lake.  We decided to keep looking.
 
Then there was a 1990 built home on a lake northeast of Green Bay.  It was beautiful but not much of a view from the house and everything needed to be replaced, needed new furnace, new roof.  We wanted to start fresh.  I won’t go into the ones we laughed at and shook our heads about.  There was one that was full of guns and trophy heads.  Yikes, gave me nightmares!


We had a couple of days left on our vacation and decided to look at homes around the lakes area north of where my parents farm was.  We had vacationed there on a number of occasions and even though it is far away from the Chicago area we thought we would give it a go. That night I arranged to meet with a realtor the next day.  I love the internet.  Found a house I liked, called the realtor, set up an appointment.  In the morning we drove to meet this realtor, Tom, at a showing in the three lakes area.
All day we looked at homes near three lakes and eagle river, maybe even Minoqua too, I don't recall the specifics.  They were too old, too far away from the lake, too big, too small.  Our list of must haves was getting longer and longer. By this time we were thinking that we should wait another year.  I thought  this year was not good for finding a home. 


We stayed in Eagle River that night and went to eat dinner.  During our meal I received a call from the realtor.  “I may have a house you would be interested in seeing”   I remember Gary and I both rolling our eyes.  “The house was for sale by the owners last spring, I called them and it is still avaiable.  I think this is what you are looking for. “  I told him that we were driving back in the morning.  He asked if we could see the house at 8am.  He could check with the owners. (We would later find out from the owners that they went crazy cleaning the home and getting it ready long into the night.) We agreed.


In the morning we met the realtor at his office and we followed him to the showing.  We learned it was only 4 years old.  We could check that off our list. We passed a Walmart, a ShopKo, and what looked to be a brand new Hospital.  Being close to civilization, another one of our criteria was met.  Shortly past the hospital we turned onto a gravel road. Immediately, I felt Gary tense, gravel roads are not his thing. On the other hand the road was lined with Birches and pine and was beautiful.  Not more than a quarter mile up we turned into the drive of what looked like a brand new but very ordinary house.
Then we walked through the front Door…….
The View from my Windows

No comments:

Post a Comment