Tuesday, April 26, 2016

On Wisconsin! On Wisconsin! Part 2

On Wisconsin, On Wisconsin!!
Then we moved on.  So we thought what state next? We were familiar with western Michigan because of the occasional vacation there and of course our son lived there for a little bit.  Grand Rapids was actually a potential. But it wasn’t on the shores of Lake Michigan and I was not ready to head further east .  And so our journey for the perfect house moved north to the familiar land of Wisconsin.
My close family and friends know the following but I will give you some history on why I feel more comfortable in Wisconsin.  It all started when I was 12 years old and my Mom and Dad began a similar quest to find a “hobby” farm.  We were all working in the kitchen making corn relish one day and the conversation started something like this, “Wouldn’t it be great if we could grow our own corn to make corn relish.” Shortly thereafter the search began. After beginning their search in Illinois and moving north, Mom and Dad did eventually buy a place in Antigo Wi and I spent a lot of my summer days up there.  After my children were born, and we were in our money scrounging days, we vacationed at the farm often.  When my parents died, we sold the farm but I always knew in my heart that I would someday come home to the land of hills and lakes and potatoes and cheese. 

Southeastern Wisconsin is beautiful .  When we started out we were still looking at builders.  We thought perhaps we could find something within our means in that area but no luck.  The only  new build areas that seemed to be within our means were set in a more subdivision- like area.  We then looked north to the Milwaukee suburbs.  There are some really  nice areas around there. We learned more and more about what goes into building your own home. At this point we had a change of heart.  We decided not to build.

No comments:

Post a Comment